Wednesday 11 May 2011

Pattern Cutting: Straight and bais grain dresses

In my pattern cutting lesson, I have created two V neck dresses, one cut on the straight grain and one cut on the bias grain.

Cut on the straight grain, front view

Cut on the straight grain, back view

Cut on the bias grain, front view

Cut on the bias grain, back view



I felt that the dress cut on the straight grain was definitely a lot easier to complete as the dress cut on the bias grain kept stretching and twisting as I was sewing, the dress cut on the straight grain did not. I think that my dress on the straight was succesful, however the bias dress could use a bit of improvement with accurate sewing and fit, I had to unpick a lot of mistakes.
I have learnt that when sewing a dress cut on the bias grain, that you cannot pull it through the machine, you have to very gently feed it through to avoid it stretching and therefor looking mishapen.

No comments:

Post a Comment